The phone touch screen may not work due to hardware or software problems: solutions are different, from cleaning to calibration.
Has the touch screen stopped working? There maybe several causes for this problem, but the solutions are not as tragic as you might think. In fact, it is not always necessary to turn the phone on, but a few simple operations are enough to repair your smartphone’s display.
In this article, we explain what can damage the touch screen of Android and iOS devices. We also give you some practical tips on how to make the screen react quickly as before.
The touch screen doesn’t work ? Here’s what may have damaged it
The screen of a telephone, as you well know, is very delicate : it requires special care and attention. Indeed, even slightly damaged, it could interrupt the operation of the touch screen for causes related to hardware or software malfunctions.
The most common hardware problems are:
– melting of the battery inside the phone and over heating of other components, such as the display glass;
– Bumps and drops that cause scratches on the screen;
– movement of smartphone components as a result of bumps and drops;
– simple dirt that affects the physical functioning of the touch screen;
– the use of detergents and other inappropriate substances that damage the physical characteristics of the screen.
Some of the causes related to the smartphone software that can lead to a malfunction of the touch screen include the following:
– insufficient memory . The RAM inside a smartphone, in the same way as in a PC, is used to operate the operating system correctly. Insufficient RAM can cause your smartphone to be unresponsive and slow, resulting in a delay between touch and screen response;
– incorrect installation of software updates ;
– incorrect user input ;
– incorrectly changing settings ;
– running corrupted files.
How to solve if touch does not work for hardware problems
Software problems are potentially easier to solve than hardware problems. However, below we propose solutions for both hardware and software related causes : these are generic solutions and alternatives to actual screen replacement, which we hope will be of real help to you.
If the touch ID problems that do not work are hardware related, in most cases it is necessary to contact a service center for Android and iOS devices. However, if the damage is not so serious, there are simple alternative solutions.
Cleaning the screen
We start from the simplest solution of the problem, namely the cleaning of the screen. As we have seen, among the causes that can cause the malfunction of the smartphone’s hardware components is possible dirt, which can lead to difficulties in recognizing the physical trace of the finger, which is then transformed into a digital signal. Therefore, keeping the screen of the iPhone or Android smartphone clean is a first general advice to solve problems with the touch ID that does not work .
Anotherproblemisrelated to the oxidation process that can damage the functioning of the touch screen or make dots emerge in the LCD panel. Oxidation can becaused by the use of unsuitabledetergents or simply by raindropsfalling on the cell phone, perhaps of the oldgeneration and not completely waterproof.
If your smartphone has oxidation processes, it is first of all essential not to leave it switched on and not to power it with the charger. The approach of the smartphone to external heat sources, such as radiators or hairdryers, should also be excluded a priori.
An alternative to using the phone could be to try to use a natural method, which has solved the situation for many people. Critics on the web confirmthis:filling a bowl of rice and inserting the cell phone for a few hourscouldbe a definitive solution. In fact, rice starch acts on the moisture and can solve the problem of a touch screen that does not work.
If the problem hasn’t been solved yet, you can try a particular alternative which, although it may seem some what absurd, has proven to be an effective solution for many users. Since battery removalis not possible on the latest iOS and Android devices, you can experiment with rotating the screen: “With one hand you rotate the phone from side to side in the opposite direction, practicing the gesture of wringing the device as you would with wet towels”, advises a girl on a forum. So, with a little decision, but always remaining delicate enough, you can try this alternative which, for many, has been useful in rediscovering tactile sensitivity. This method, although trivial, can save you from spending a lot of money to repair the screen.
If none of these suggested solutions are helpful and you continue to experience malfunctions with your device’s touch screen, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer’s customer service department for the best advice on hardware malfunctions.
How to solve if touch does not work for software problems
If the iPhone or iOS smartphone is free of scratches, bumps, oxidation or other hardware problems, the methods for restoring the Touch ID, as mentioned above, maybe simpler than expected. Let’s see what they are.
Forced smartphone restart
A device that does not respond to commands should simply be turned off or on. Here are the procedures for restarting Android and iOS devices:
– Android . To restart the device, simply hold down the power button for about ten seconds or hold down the power + volume key combinations. Alternatively, you can always press Power + Home for about ten seconds;
– iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and earlier versions. Press and hold the Power + Home buttons for about ten seconds until the iPhone screen turns black and the Apple logo reappears.
– iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus .Press and hold the Power and Volume (-) buttons for about ten seconds until the screen turns off and the Apple logo reappears.
– iPhone 8, 8 Plus, iPhone X and later models .Quickly press and release the Volume + key. Repeat with the Volume (-) button. Finally, press and hold down the right side button: the screen should turn off and the Apple logo should reappear.
Free up RAM memory
Among the main software problems, we have seen that the lack of memory can cause the device to slow down and cause a delay between the touch of the smartphone and the reaction of the screen. To get around this problem on Android, you can simply install an application that frees up RAM memory. The following are users’ favorite applications:
- All-in-one toolkit . This application is among the best for “cleaning” and improving Android software. The application is equipped with a valid memory management tool and allows you to remove applications running in the background. In addition, it includes a cache cleaning tool, which removes unwanted files;
- Memory Optimizer . This application corrects memory leaks caused by cache and temporary files. The application also shows unnecessary processes that consume RAM and can be stopped;
- Memory Accelerator .With a single touch, you can disable background applications that consume RAM;
- As Cleaner . This cleaner and booster for Android smartphones includes efficient CPU cooling features, as well as battery saving, duplicate removal, uninstallation of unnecessary applications, and protection of sensitive applications.
On iPhone 6 (or previous versions), thereis no need to install applications : simply double-click the Home button to display the applications in memory. A long press on the icon of the application you want to close allows you to stop it completely. In iOS 7 devices, management is already more similar to Android. After having optimized the memory, Android or iOS devices will certainly be more reactive to solve the problem of the Touch ID malfunction.
If when typing text on your screen you feel that the touch screen is not working properly, you can solve the problem by calibrating it at the software level. No special skills are required to calibrate the touch ID of the smartphone.
On Android, you need to perform the following operations:
- Access the home screen of the device;
- Press the Settings icon ;
- select the Language and Text or Language and Input item;
- on the next screen, select the keyboard name that you use on the phone (typically the name marked with a check mark or the name that appears in the default item).
- Now go to the menu with the general parameters ;
- select the calibration item;
- you will have to type text on the Android keyboard;
- press Save to save the calibration settings.
Doesn’t this improve the Touch ID problem that doesn’t work ? Repeat the keyboard calibration by placing the device screen in landscape mode, other wise try downloading the free “Multi-Touch Reference Test” application. This application solves the problem of the touch ID that doesn’t work in part : it allows you to visualize on a black background the points on the screen where your smartphone recognizes the touch, soyou can test its operation in a very simple way.
If you are an iOS user, there is no calibration tool. If after performing a procedure to remove the restrictions imposed by Apple, you encounter problems with the touch screen, the only alternative is to cancel this procedure with a hardware reset.